Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 24

Today was a very uneventful day full of nice scenery and time alone. I rode from Manchester State Park to Bodega Dunes State Park. It was cold and windy in the morning, and I didn't feel like sitting around the campground in the cold, so I left early at 8:00 this morning. I was contemplating cutting the day in 2 because I had scheduled the ride to be 70 miles, but I made the decision this morning to just go the whole way.

I really liked the scenery between Manchester and point Arena. This section of the highway was more inland than much of the 1, so there were no beaches, but very pretty hills and farms.

Most of the road was along the coast and had more of the same coastal views. Is it bad that I feel like these views are becoming same-ol' same-ol'?




Near Fort Ross I encountered two challenging climbs. They were pretty fun. There were some drop offs to the side, so it was a bit scary, but still a good time.


The descent was pretty fun, but scary again because of all the huge drop offs on my side of the road.


Because of the long mileage I'd be doing today I felt like I needed a bit of an afternoon pick-me-up, so I stopped in a tiny town called Jenner for their "Award-Winning Iced Coffee." It won my award for best iced coffee I've ever had. A Luna bar accompanied the iced coffee, which is a delicious energy bar for women. I've always wondered why they're so great for women. Probably 'cause they taste so darn good and they don't want to share it with the men!


I passed lots of little beaches along the Sonoma coast. Before I left on my tour James told me that I'd have a very good survey of all the pacific coast beaches and I'd say there are some pretty cool ones along the Sonoma Coast. They're pretty small and sheltered on both sides by rocks, so they're very pretty. Still northern california though, so you'd need to go on a semi-rare warm day.

I arrived at the Bodega Dunes State Park campground and set up camp. I was alone again, which was kinda weird, but I found a bunch of firewood right next to my fire pit, so the campfire I had was very nice. The hiker/biker site was in a closed-off part of the campground so I had half of a campground to myself...and a small selection of wildlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment