Tuesday, October 12, 2010

How to get away from Canada and get to Mexico

I'm such a sucker for adventures. They fascinate me and I feel like my life is lacking in them. I've had some small adventures that have some good stories, but nothing epic, which leads me to the purpose of this post. I was playing around on Google Maps and stumbled across this route. The basic idea is to run away from Canada and go to Mexico (or close to it). I figured that the best way to do that would be to go along the coast. You're pretty much guaranteed not to get to an elevation of 1,000 ft or maybe even stay under 500ft. That being said, oxygen is in abundance. It may, perhaps, be hilly, but you at least know that your starting elevation is close to sea level and your ending location is close to sea level too, so every hill you climb you get to ride down.

Why do I want to do this? Because it sounds like fun. Some side benefits to the tour include
  • Get to visit a cool guy named Justin in Oregon, unless you are the cool guy named Justin in Oregon.
  • Get to visit anyone else we know who lives along the coast
  • Get in really good shape
  • Collect good stories to tell people
  • See lots of beautiful scenery. Look up Highway 1 or Highway 101 on Google images.
  • Gives an opportunity to get in shape before going
  • Not working
  • Camping, lots of camping
  • Meeting random people including all the hipsters in Oregon and the Hollywoods in, well, Hollywood.
Now that you see all the great reasons I want to go on this trip, I want to invite you, yes you, to consider riding it with me. You may think I'm pulling your leg, but I'm actually pretty serious. I think it would be a great experience and it would be perfect timing for me since I could probably quit my job around then. "Then" being May-ish probably. Mid June is earthquake season in California and I'm hoping to catch an earthquake while I'm there. If we do the full route, I would give 2 months, but I'd be happy cutting the route in half to make it a month ride. I'd also be happy planning a completely different ride. I just like the idea of a really long, month or longer, ride.

I've been known to drop out on adventures before. However, it is crucial that I note that my dropping out has only occurred when I was planning on doing the adventure on my own. Like when I wanted to go to Mexico this fall to work on a ranch. That didn't happen because I didn't have anyone expecting me to prepare for the trip and follow threw with it. That being said, let me know if you are interested in this. I may ask you personally anyway if I'm still serious about this in a few weeks.

1 comment: