Thursday, April 28, 2011

Why Math > Science



It's probably disheartening for my friends in the field of science to hear that I say Math > Science. After I explain myself I believe my scientist friends will be in whole-hearted agreement.

Everyone knows that math is pointless without science. Who really gives a darn if 1+2=3? Who cares what the solution to the differential equation x''(t)=c x is if they don't know what the heck a spring is? You know who invented calculus? Isaac Newton. That's right, a physicist. Who invented the Fourier transform? Joseph Fourier, a physicist. The list goes on, but you get the idea. Nobody cares about math by itself.

Unless you study one of the lame sciences, science is completely dependent on math. As a physics major, I almost have enough experience doing math to be a math major. The only way a physicist can predict anything is to do the math. So science is completely dependent on math.

Math needs science and science needs math.

Some people have wondered why I'm getting certified to teach math and not science. I majored in physics, so I should teach physics, right? Wrong! There are two reasons I do not want to get certified in science: Biology and Health/Human Growth and Development/Sex Ed. The problem with getting certified in science is that there is only one science class I'd really be excited to teach and that's physics. I'd tolerate Astronomy, Chemistry or Geology. I would die if they forced me to teach Biology or Health. And once you're certified in science, you're qualified to teach any science class. That means that if you find yourself in a school with a less than cool principal, you may get stuck teaching a class you hate.

Math, on the other hand, is much nicer. There's Algebra, Geometry, Pre-Calculus, Calculus, and Statistics. I'd be happy teaching any of these classes. There is not a single math class that I can think of that I wouldn't want to teach at the high school level. Therefore I say Math > Science because it helps my job possibilities and prevents me from being forced to teach a lame class.

Besides, students already think math is pointless without application. So who better to teach math than someone who knows how to apply it in really interesting ways than a scientist?

No comments:

Post a Comment