Friday, April 8, 2011

Man on Bus Tests Patience of Young Man on Bus

Exactly what the public bus has never looked like in the history of the automobile


Riding the bus is sometimes just really really weird. Today there were no seats on the 16L where I could sit by myself. I saw the pretty girl with curly blonde hair and sat across the aisle from her, next to an old man who looked like he was homeless aside from his lack of a grocery cart. He was looking in my direction as I read The Perfect Storm, so I could tell he was getting ready to say something to me. I kept my headphones in my ear and kept my focus on the book, hoping he wouldn't say anything after all.

He asked about the book I was reading and told me of some series of books he likes but couldn't remember the author. He was the kind of person who acts like he has alcohol in his system even if it's been days since his last drink. His speech was slightly slurred and looked a bit disoriented. He told me a story about when he was building Invesco field and how some Mexicans finished their job really fast...A Zach story. He smelled horrible, but I couldn't pinpoint what the smell was. I assumed it was just really bad breathe because it seemed worse while he was talking. He told me, "I'm sorry I smell so bad. I pissed my pants earlier. It's what happens when you're old." Ugh, gross. I nodded my head and turned back to my book, keeping one headphone in my ear. "How many girls have you been with at the same time?" I kept silent and shook my head. "You'd be surprised how easy it is to just say, 'hey let's go over to your place.' You can get a lot of girls that way." "I don't do that." "It's really easy. I've gotta get off here."

I got up and let him get off. I sat back down where he was sitting and the seat felt warm. Ugh, a man who wet his pants was just sitting here. The seat wasn't wet, but his reek remained. I immediately switched seats and sat where the pretty girl with curly blonde hair had been sitting. Much better.

I love riding the bus, usually, because it gives me a chance to read and just relax. But some people test my patience and my tolerance for poor hygiene.

No comments:

Post a Comment