Saturday, September 18, 2010

My Light Switch

I love living in Denver. I really do. It's great living with a family with a 6 year old and a 1 year old. It's so different from living with other college guys. It is just refreshing to have a different life.

One of the funny things about the house I live in is my bedroom. I love the wood walls and having cable tv in my bedroom is awesome and is great for being ridiculously lazy. But the funny thing about the room is that the light switch is on the other side of the room. The wall was put in after the house's initial construction, so the light switch is in a kind of awkward spot. I spent the first month or so just using my cell phone to give me enough light to get to the light switch.

This had to stop.

I remembered my friend Rebecca's room. She had a piece of string attached to her light switch so she could turn the light off from her bed and then turn it on from her bed in the morning. It was a brilliant idea and would be perfect for my setup.

So I went to Lowe's and bought some rings that screw into the wall and some string that I could send to my door. I put the rings in the wall and sent the strings through so that when I pull on the top string the light turns on and when I pull on the bottom string, the light turns off. It's great.

1 comment:

  1. and the best part is that it took almost as much time and effort as moving the light switch itself!

    True engineering my friend... brilliant!

    ReplyDelete