Thursday, December 7, 2006

La Musica

Ok I admit it. Music is pretty cool. Especially music at Christmas time. One thing that makes Christmas so special for me is all the music. I have already been to a few concerts/performances and plan on going to a few more. But music in general is pretty amazing. I went to a performance in the library two weeks ago and a guy whos wife works for the school played the piano. Most of the stuff he played was his own stuff. Just listening to him play made me apreciate music even more. I think it is pretty cool that we can play a few chords in a certain style and it gives you an emotion. Examples: There is a sweet song in School of Rock called "Heart Sick" if you've heard that song before you know that the song makes you fell heart sick. One of my favorite Johnny Cash songs called "Get Rhythm" is really cool because the guitar part is so simple, it just keeps a constant rhythm. The song immediately makes me happy and I usually can't help but tap my foot to the song. It may seem kinda funny but I really like Kelly Clarkson as a singer. She really knows how to sing with emotion. Also that song by Plumb called cut has a ton of emotion in it. I've heard that Emo music is rich guys that complain about their life. The first time I heard it called emo I was kind of shocked. Emo is short for emotion I think and last time I checked if music is not emotional it is pretty lame. I am going through all my music trying to find any music that didn't have much emotion and I can't find anything so I'm going to change the subject. This sunday at church I got really excited when the choir sang the Hallelujah chorus. Now, if you're looking for a song with emotion, pop that one in your stereo. Also, for band this year we played a song called Russian Liturgy. I don't know what it is but at the end of the song we play 6 notes, no faster than normal, nothing special about them, but, everytime I play those 6 notes I can't help but think about how amazing God is. I think that Bob our director has the same feeling because everytime we play those six notes he really gets into the music and after playing those 6 notes he looks totally exausted and he needs a few seconds after the last note to recover.
I think that people like certain music because of the way it makes them feel. Examples: Johnny Cash- Tap your foot, Feel good music, makes you feel like a rebel
Steven Curtis Chapman- God's awesome
Duke Ellington-Mysterious head bobbin' music
Coldplay-Mellow, uplifting music
Aqualung-Kinda like Coldplay but different, not very uplifting
Jack Johnson-Laid Back, skeptical of society

Anyways, Music is pretty cool. Next time you go to a concert think about the emotions the songs give you.

No comments:

Post a Comment